The first 2 families are due to arrive soon!
- Jewish Child and Family Service have sponsored two families for a total of 9 people. These families were interviewed by the Canadian Visa Office in mid-January and have had their medical checks completed. They are due to arrive any day.
- 2 more families to arrive in mid-2016! Congregation Shaarey Zedek has sponsored two families as well for a total of 14 people. These families had their applications submitted to Citizenship and Immigration Canada on December 18 and should be arriving in mid-2016.
- 3 more families on the way… with a total of 17 people will have their applications submitted to Citizenship and Immigration Canada over the next few weeks.
More sponsors are needed to bring 4 more families.
- Our Committee is also working with several other potential sponsors within the Mennonite Community to sponsor an additional 4 families for a total of 35 people. Fundraising for these additional families will come from within the Mennonite Community. Operation Ezra will assist with administration.
- $217,000 has been raised to date through the many campaigns launched under Operation Ezra including the latest campaigns launched by the Jewish Federation of Winnipeg and Congregation Shaarey Zedek. $40,000 is still needed to cover the costs of the 7 sponsored families. Discussions are ongoing with other Jewish agencies participating in Operation Ezra to become sponsors.
- In-kind donation collection is now operational. The process of collecting donated goods is now well underway for new or gently used furniture and household items, many of which are in storage. Warehouse space was generously donated by David Rich of Richlu Sportswear and the warehouse is in the process of being organized to assist the refugee families when they arrive. Corporate sponsors to date include Crown Caps, the Salvation Army and IKEA.
- Jewish Child and Family Service in partnership with Shaarey Zedek are coordinating refugee settlement. Plans are under way to meet post-arrival needs including orientation and overall coordination, housing, medical care, education and employment/training for all of the families being sponsored. The local Yazidi Community will play a very critical role in the re-settlement of the new families and will provide temporary housing until permanent housing can be secured.
Please login to leave a comment