Join us as we commemorate the six million Jews who perished in the Holocaust. We will also light a 7th candle in memory of the Roma and Sinti singled out for genocide and the countless other victims of the Nazis and their collaborators, among them: the disabled, gay men, Soviet POWs, political opponents, Jehovah’s witnesses, some members of the Christian clergy and others with whom the Nazis found fault for various reasons.
This year we welcome the participation of the Rainbow Harmony Project, Winnipeg’s Choir for the LGBTQ2* Community and their Straight Allies.
Guest readers of the Megillat Hashoah for 2017:
- Mr. Artur Wilczynski, Head of Canada’s Delegation to Canada’s Delegation to the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance and Ambassador of Canada to Norway
- Dr. Jody Perrun, Professor, University of Winnipeg: Antisemitism and the Holocaust
- Roberta Malam, Director of the Coast-to-Coast March of the Living Program
- Sister Bernadette O’Reilly, Bat Kol TriDiocesan Committee
- Lutheran Bishop Susan Johnson, National Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
- Niigaanwewidam Sinclair, Department Head, Native Studies, University of Manitoba
- Ray Dirks, Curator, Mennonite Heritage Centre Gallery
- Stanislao Carbone, Director of Programs and Exhibits for the Jewish Heritage Centre and Vice-Consul of Italy for Manitoba
- Antonio (Tony) Tavares, Consultant, Diversity Education and International Languages Instruction, Curriculum and Assessment Branch MB Education and Training
- Sumera Sahar, Founder and Executive Member, Canadian Council of Muslim Women, Winnipeg
- Amer Parwana, Sikh community, Juvenile Corrections, Manitoba Justice
- Jessica Senehi, Associate professor of Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Manitoba, and Coordinator of the Dr. Philip Weiss Award for Storytelling for Peace and Human Rights
- Major Ray Harris, Salvation Army and Secretary of Manitoba Multifaith Council
Registration is not required – all faiths and backgrounds are welcome.
Brought to you by Congregation Shaarey Zedek and the Freeman Family Foundation Holocaust Education Centre of the Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada, Inc.